ESPEN Research Fellowships
ESPEN Research Fellowships for 2023
5 Laureates of the ESPEN Grants 2023 : Stephen Paul Ashcroft, Savannah Blair Knezek, Maria Papageorgiou, Tanner Stokes, Michelle Weijzen
The Scientific Committee of ESPEN invites applications for the 2023 ESPEN Research Fellowships. A maximum of €40,000 will be awarded for a project. Please click on the links for the rules and application form. The closing date is 5 pm CET on April 15th, 2023. Find here the Rules and an Application form (DOCX) to download.
ESPEN Research Fellowships for 2022
ESPEN is pleased to confirm the 2022 ESPEN Research Fellowship programme will continue to fund innovative research from early-career awardees, to enhance knowledge in the field of clinical nutrition and metabolism and to strengthen the role of clinical nutrition.
Deadline for applications for 2022 ESPEN Research Fellowships is April 15 at 17:00 hours CET. Find here the rules and here an Application form in Word format (please only fill in the blanks, no other changes on the form allowed).
ESPEN Research Fellowships for 2021
The Scientific Committee of ESPEN invites applications for the 2021 ESPEN Research Fellowships. A maximum of €40,000 will be awarded for a project. Please click on the links for the rules and application form. The closing date is 5 pm CET on Thursday, April 15, 2021. Find here the Rules and an Application form (PDF) or Application form (DOCX) to download.
For the 2021 awards, we are very pleased to gratefully confirm the non-restricted support by Baxter Healthcare SA, which will continue to significantly contribute to maintain the high level of funding resources. The altruistic contribution by Baxter Clinical Nutrition is still particularly meaningful under the ongoing global restrictions, and it will allow to increase the number of awardees and funded projects.
ESPEN Research Fellowships for 2020
The Scientific Committee of ESPEN invites applications for the 2020 ESPEN Research Fellowships. A maximum of €40,000 will be awarded for a project. Please click on the links for the rules and application form. The deadline originally planed for 15th April is extended to 31st May 2020 (5 pm CET). Find here the: Rules and an Application form to download.
ESPEN Research Fellowships for 2019
The Scientific Committee of ESPEN invites applications for the 2019 ESPEN Research Fellowships. A maximum of €40,000 will be awarded for a project and it is hoped that about 6 Fellowships may be awarded. Please click on the links for the rules and application form. The closing date is 5 pm CET on Friday 5 April 2019. Find here the: Rules (PDF) and an Application form (DOC) to download.
ESPEN Research Fellowships for 2018
ESPEN Research Fellowships for 2017
ESPEN Research Fellowships for 2016
Technology Innovation with Industry Partnership ESPEN Grant for 2016
In the world of clinical nutrition and metabolism, there is a lack of tools needed for effective screening, assessment, diagnosis or monitoring or the tools that are available are too expensive or require further development. Industry is not always ready to develop or improve these tools alone. The purpose of the “Technology Innovation with Industry Partnership ESPEN Grant” is to facilitate the dialogue between scientific/clinical experts and industry to develop new or better tools or to improve availability of tools.
ESPEN invites members to submit a proposal for funding in the field of innovative technology. Applicants should submit a two page proposal describing the project and expected outcome and benefits and a one page document outlining costs and anticipated timing of the project.
Proposals should be submitted as an email attachment (word or pdf) to Philip Calder, Chair of the ESPEN Scientific Committee at pcc[at]soton.ac.uk, by no later than 17:00 hours (CET) on 4th March 2016.
MNI Grant 2016
It is a great pleasure to announce that the 2016 grant will be rewarding ongoing or planned national initiatives for Optimal Nutritional Care Approach. Such an initiative must be endorsed by national PEN societies (worldwide), but not necessarily run by a national PEN society. The € 30,000 grant is supported by the Medical Nutrition International Industry (MNI) group and is now open for applications.
The deadline for application is June 16th 2016. Presentations of previous winner projects are available for your perusal here. The winner of the grant will be announced during the Malnutrition Event at the ESPEN 2016 Congress in Copenhagen in September 2016.
ESPEN Research Fellowships for 2015
Deadline for applying is March 6th, 2015 (17.00 Brussels time) and an ESPEN Membership of the main applicant OR the project supervisor is needed.
Technology Innovation with Industry Partnership ESPEN Grant for 2015
The purpose of this grant is to facilitate the dialogue between scientific/clinical experts and industry to develop new or better tools or to improve availability of tools.
ESPEN invites members to submit a proposal for funding in the field of innovative technology. One “Technology Innovation with Industry Partnership ESPEN Grant” will be awarded (sum of up to €30,000 is available) to an expert or a group of experts proposing a project. Applicants should submit a two page proposal describing the project and expected outcome and benefits and a one page document outlining costs and anticipated timing of the project.
Proposals should be submitted as an email attachment (word or pdf) to Philip Calder, Chair of the ESPEN Scientific Committee at pcc[at]soton.ac.uk, by no later than 17:00 hours (CET) on 6th March 2015.
ESPEN Research Fellowships for 2014
ESPEN Research Fellowships for 2013
ESPEN Research Fellowships for 2012
ESPEN Research Grants for 2011
2007 - ESPEN Best abstracts
- S.M. Schneider (France): "Effects of age, malnutrition and refeeding on the expression and secretion of ghrelin"
- A. Amiot (France): "Characteristics of home parenteral nutrition weaning in short bowel patients: a review of 308 patients in a single tertiary care centre"
- O. Rooyackers (Sweden): "Molecular regulation of mitochondrial biogenesis in skeletal muscle of septic patients"
2006 - Young Investigator Awards
- C. Moinard (France): "Citrulline: a new therapeutic agent in nutrition field "
- C. Guillet (Sweden): " Degradation of individual muscle proteins during cachexia in humans"
- B. Mittendorfer (USA): "Sexual dimorphism in human lipid metabolism"
2005 - Young Investigator Awards
- P. Wischmeyer (USA): "Mechanisms of glutamine's protection against experimental and clinical critical illness: role of heat shock protein expression"
- M. Coëffier (France): "Glutamine, inflammatory response and protein metabolism in human gut"
- Y. Viesser (The Netherlands): Post-operative arginine metabolism is disturbed in cachectic and non-cachectic tumor-bearing mice
- A. Zangarelli (France): "Energy restriction preserves skeletal muscle mass and strength in old rats: a mitochondria-mediated process"
Abbott Research Fellowship
J.J. Carrero-Roig (Sweden): "The Effect of End-stage Renal Disease and oral N-Acetyl-cysteine / enistein on Pre- and Postprandial Hyperglycemia, Hyperlipidemia, Inflammation and Ox Stress in vivo"
Nestlé Research Fellowship
M. Engelen (The Netherlands): "The effect of cancer and surgery on the inter-organ protein response to feeding"
Nutricia Research Fellowships
P. Kuhnlein (Germany): "PEG feeding and metabolic changes in patients with Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis"
J.B. Wiroth (France): "Effects of resistance training and oral protein supplementation on sarcopenia"
G. Johannesdottir (Norway): "Effect of protein composition on gastric emptying rate in children with cerebral palsy"
D. Toporowska-Kowalska (Poland): "Effect of intensive enteral feeding on the nutritional status and gut function in children with cancer - prospective randomized study"
D.L. Cai (China): "Efficacy of EPA-enriched enteral nutritional supplement in post-operative GI cancer patients"
ESPEN Early Career Faculty
Van der Werf
The European Society for Clinical Nutrition and Metabolism (ESPEN) is pleased to announce a new call for application for the position of Early Career Faculty.
Eligibility for applicants
1. Must be within 10 years after obtaining PhD/MD/Other higher degree and below the age of 40
2. Must be a member of ESPEN (with subscription being current)
3. Must have clinical and or research experience in Clinical or Experimental Nutrition, Metabolism, or related areas
4. The applicants could be clinicians, translational or basic scientists, or nutrition related health care professionals (e.g. nurses, dietitians, pharmacists, etc.)
5. The applicants should provide evidence of support from the Clinical Nutrition/PEN Society in their country of work. No more than four positions will be awarded to each member country
6. Appointments will be for two years and renewable for one more term, subject to performance and in accordance to the rules
7. Applications for 2022 must be submitted on the prescribed form by 31st March 2022 to Professor Nathalie Delzenne as chair of the Scientific committee (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the subject line “ESPEN Early Career Faculty 2022”
8. Results will be announced in May 2022
Expectations of ESPEN from Early Career Faculty
1. To attend ESPEN Congresses regularly
2.To actively participate to ESPEN scientific activities with suggestions of initiatives (webinars…)
3. To review at least 5 articles per year for Clinical Nutrition, Clinical Nutrition ESPEN or Clinical Nutrition online and to act as an associate editor for Clinical Nutrition ESPEN if invited
4. To review and score abstracts submitted to the annual ESPEN Congress
5. To participate in the writing of ESPEN Guidelines if invited
6. To moderate sessions (oral and poster) at the annual ESPEN Congress if invited
7. To develop, update and participate in LLL Modules if invited
8. To engage within the Early Career Faculty group
Advantages for Early Career Faculty
1. Will be part of a very vibrant society, given the opportunity to participate in scientific, educational and research activities and network with peers
2. Opportunity to progress to ESPEN Faculty positions
3. Opportunity of seeing and commenting on scientific papers before they are published
4. Opportunity to progress to the Editorial Boards of Clinical Nutrition, Clinical Nutrition ESPEN and Clinical Nutrition online
5. Get free registration to the annual congress upon active participation (abstract submission, invitation as chair…)